• CONTACT
  • FEEDBACK
  • WEATHER FORECAST
  • Choose language:
    • English
    • Suomi
    • English
    • Deutsch
    • русский
    • Svenska
    • Español
    • Français
    en
ANY QUESTIONS?

Alvar Aalto Museum (1971–73)

Photos: Maija Holma, Alvar Aalto museum

Photos: Maija Holma, Alvar Aalto museum


tel. +358 40 135 6210, museum@alvaraalto.fi

Tue–Sun from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., Tue–Fri from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. in July and August, Sat–Sun from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Closed on Monday.

Admission: EUR 6/EUR 4. More information: www.alvaraalto.fi/charges.htm

The Alvar Aalto Museum is located on a slope by Lake Jyväsjärvi, next to the University of Jyväskylä and the Museum of Central Finland. The first plans for the museum building were completed in 1970. Alvar Aalto finalised his designs in 1973. The area of the museum had to be reduced because of limited financial resources. In accordance with the original designs, the exhibition space on the first floor is divided into areas with movable partitions. The highest part of the hall has slatted pine panels on the walls, resembling the wall structure of Finland’s pavilion at the New York World Fair, designed by Aalto in 1939. All furniture in the museum is designed by Aalto. The facade is built of white Halla bricks manufactured by Arabia and embellished by porcelain strips. The main doors have a copper surface and brass handles designed by Aalto. For a long time, the museum specialised in architecture and visual arts. Today, it focuses on fostering the heritage of Alvar Aalto.

The Alvar Aalto Museum and the Museum of Central Finland (Aalto 1961) constitute a cultural centre next to the University of Jyväskylä (Aalto 1951–1971). The museum buildings represent what is known as Aalto’s white period, but differ in appearance and scale from other monumental buildings of the same time. The buildings were constructed ten years apart, which is particularly evident in their facades. The rectangular facade of the Museum of Central Finland reflects the geometric practicality of early functionalism, while the Alvar Aalto Museum represents a more closed design, but a less restricted expression of form. In the early 1990s, an extension was added to the Museum of Central Finland in Ruusupuisto Park, in accordance with designs made by Elissa Aalto.

Source: Alvar Aalto Museum

 

Contact information

Alvar Aallon katu 7,
40600 Jyväskylä
Tel. +358 40 135 6210
 

Map

Comments

Write your comment here

 
 

Contact information

The symbols indicate the distance from Kompassiaukio (Compass Square) in the centre of Jyväskylä. (Source: Google Maps)
16 min    6 min

Alvar Aallon katu 7,
40600 Jyväskylä
Tel. +358 40 135 6210