photo: Tero Takalo-Eskola
The World Capital of Alvar Aalto’s Architecture tour takes you on a journey to a city featuring more works and designs from the different periods of the master architect’s career than any other location in the world.
On The World Capital of Alvar Aalto’s Architecture tour you will not only be seeing but also living the gems of Modernist architecture: sleep, eat and even swim within architecture.
During the tour you will experience some of the most iconic built environments designed by Alvar Aalto in a city that has more than earned its epithet, the Alvar Aalto capital of the world. He opened his first office and started his family in Jyväskylä, he lived in the city for several years and built his beloved summer residence nearby. The city is also home to the world’s only Alvar Aalto Museum, which is located in a building designed by the architect himself.
During the tour, you will witness the different faces of Aalto’s oeuvre, from the early classicist style through the red-brick period to white monumentalism. Highlights of the tour include a stay in one of Aalto’s most significant works, Säynätsalo Town Hall, swimming in AaltoAlvari swimming hall, the oldest parts of which were designed by Aalto.
Tips for independent exploring: https://visitjyvaskyla.fi/en/alvaraalto
The group will arrive on its own tour bus, which is available for transport between sites for the entire tour.
The route includes some stairs and walking. Suitable for guests with a reasonable level of fitness. Unfortunately, some sites on our tour are not fully accessible.
12:00 Arrival in Jyväskylä and check-in at Hotel Verso in the best location of the city (double/twin).
12:30 Lunch at Hotel Verso
13:30 Aalto Andante walking tour (2 hrs) Our city guide will meet the group at the hotel lobby and take us on a walking tour around Aalto sites in Jyväskylä city centre. The tour will take you to the Workers’ Club, the administrative block (the theatre, police station, and municipal offices), the Defence Corps Building, and the Aalto Campus of the University of Jyväskylä. The tour ends at the Alvar Aalto Museum.
15:30 Alvar Aalto Museum, guided tour.
16:30 Coffee and cake à la Alvar at Café Alvar, which is furnished with Aalto designs.
Shopping at the museum’s design shop.
17:00 Leave for AaltoAlvari
After the museum tour, the guide will lead us to AaltoAlvari swimming pool, where we will be literally diving into Aalto’s architecture in the world’s only public municipal swimming pool designed by Aalto!
18:30 Return to the hotel
20:00 Dinner at Pöllövaari Restaurant
Enjoy the lovingly prepared delicious meals that take you on a journey of flavours from around the world, served by the friendly handpicked staff.
8:30–10:00 Breakfast, check-out
Time for shopping
The morning is free for independent exploring around Jyväskylä city centre. Places to visit:
• The Craft Museum of Finland Museum Shop: https://www.craftmuseum.fi/en/craft-museum-finland/visit-us/museum-shop
• Taito Shop Aivia: Unique and contemporary gifts and utility items that bring a smile to your face. Made by artisans and small manufacturers. The shop is next door to the Craft Museum of Finland
• Museum Shop of the Jyväskylä Art Museum: https://www.jyvaskyla.fi/en/jyvaskyla-art-museum/visit-museum
• Pienikamari: A corner shop full of personality selling traditional wooden toys, the adorable Moomins family, and Finnish jewellery and gift items. https://visitjyvaskyla.fi/en/palveluhakemisto/655/pienikamari
• Harjun Paperi: This unique specialist stationary and card shop has operated in the same address since 1954. https://visitjyvaskyla.fi/en/palveluhakemisto/1168/harjun_paperi
• Lovely Boutiques: https://visitjyvaskyla.fi/ihanatputiikit
12:00 Bus transportation to Toivola Old Courtyard, the most beautiful shopping centre in the city
After lunch, you will have the opportunity to browse the boutiques and visit the black smith shop, the craftsmen’s homes and Sparvin museum shop, all located around Toivola Old Courtyard.
14:00 Aalto Bravo bus tour
The guided bus tour departs from Toivola Old Courtyard and takes you through Alvar Aalto sites outside the city. The first point of interest is Muurame Church, followed by Säynätsalo Town Hall, where the group will stay for one night.
16:00 Guided tour at the Town Hall
After check-in, we will gather for a tour around this fascinating piece of architecture, which is considered one of Aalto’s most significant and exciting designs. We will see how Aalto paid attention to the smallest of details, from design lighting fixtures to door handles, and we will also learn more about Alvar Aalto as an architect and private person.
After the tour, there will be time to relax in your room designed in the true Aalto style or take a short walk around Säynätsalo island, which, thanks to the Town Hall, is sometimes called Finland’s most famous island. The island is surrounded by Finland’s longest and second largest lake, Päijänne, which is within a short walk from the Town Hall.
19:00 Dinner at the Town Hall
8:00–10:00 Breakfast and check-out
From here you may continue your journey to other Alvar Aalto cities: https://visit.alvaraalto.fi/en/
Price example: €365 / person
The price is an estimate for a group of 10 / based on two people sharing a room.
Note: in Säynätsalo Town Hall the room sizes and numeber of beds in a room vary.
The price includes:
1. Accommodation at the modern Verso Hotel (1 night) and the guest rooms of Säynätsalo Town Hall (1 night).
2. 2 x lunch
3. 2 x coffee
4. 2 x dinner
5. Admissions: Alvar Aalto Museum, AaltoAlvari swimming hall
6. the services of the city guide: walking tour and the guided tour at the Alvar Aalto Museum, guided tour at Muurame Church and transport assistance to Säynätsalo [NB! pricing: these guide services are provided by the guides association]
7. Guided tour at Säynätsalo Town Hall [NB! pricing: guided tour at Säynätsalo; Tavolo Bianco/Harri Taskinen]
Available for an extra charge:
• accommodation in a single room
• a visit to Alvar Aalto’s summer residence, Muuratsalo Experimental House (Summer season only. Accordingly, there will be less time for shopping)
• transport between sites (unless the group has its own tour bus)
The availability of services and prices are verified at the time of booking, and they depend on the time of travel. The programme is provisional and can be modified according to customers’ suggestions. All rights to amendments reserved.
We comply with general package tour terms and conditions.
DMC Central Finland / Matka-Töysä
tel. + 358 14 336 4130
operointi (at) matkatoysa.fi
Find services and nearest points of interest on a map