City of Light event, photo: Juhana Konttinen
Completed in 1899, Jyväskylä City Hall is located by Church Park, in the most important block of the town plan designed by Carl Ludwig Engel. At the time, Church Park was known as Church Square, a marketplace between the church and the city hall. An example of the Renaissance Revival style, the city hall was designed by county architect Karl Viktor Reinius. It was a massive construction project: the city hall housed the registry office, the city court, the city treasury, an auction house, a library and a reading room and facilities for the Bank of Finland. It also had an assembly hall and a restaurant, much awaited by locals, as well as facilities for societies and associations. Today, Jyväskylä City Hall is one of the few nineteenth-century buildings in the city centre.
In its history of more than 110 years, the city hall has seen many renovations. The latest one was carried out between 2010 and 2012. The original room layout and colours were restored in conjunction with this extensive renovation project. The city hall has offices for about 30 employees as well as the mayor’s office and meeting rooms for the city council, council groups, city board and committees. You can learn more about the building and its eventful history on a guided tour.
Works of art in Jyväskylä City Hall:
www.jyvaskyla.fi/taidemuseo/kokoelmat/sijoitukset/kaupungintalo/teokset (in Finnish)
Find services and nearest points of interest on a map