photo: Tero Takalo-Eskola
Petäjävesi Old Church – masterpiece of construction in wood
Petäjävesi Old Church gained inclusion in Unesco's world heritage list as an prime example of northern wooden architecture in 1994. The church is representative of Scandinavian, Lutheran church architecture and the long tradition of log building.
The church, located on a lake shore in Central Finland, was built in 1763-1765. Since the new parish church was built in 1879 the old one has not been used for regular services. Continuous repairs have been carried out since the 1920s.
The church is occasionally used in summer. In summer (1.6.-31.8.) the Old Church is open every day from 10 am till 6 pm. During the Midsummer the church is closed.
Read more about Petäjävesi Old Church here.
Petäjävesi Old Church World Heritage coordinator:
tel. +358 40 582 2461
opas (at) petajavesi.fi
Vanhankirkontie 9, 41900 Petäjävesi
Find services and nearest points of interest on a map