Photo: Kuokkala bridge / Touho Häkkinen
The central location of Jyväskylä at the junction of three major waterways has attracted people since prehistoric times. Some of the districts in Jyväskylä – such as Kuokkala, Tourula and Mankola – are named after the seven houses in the area in the sixteenth century.
Jyväskylä was granted official market rights in 1801 and became a town in 1837. Important milestones in the history of Jyväskylä and Finland include the establishment of Finnish-language schools: Jyväskylä Lyceum in 1858, the Teacher Seminary in 1863 and the Girls’ School in 1864. From a peaceful small town with a rural atmosphere, Jyväskylä has grown rapidly into one of the major cities in Finland.
Jyväskylä, the rural municipality of Jyväskylä and the municipality of Korpilahti were merged in 2009, making Jyväskylä the seventh largest city in Finland. It continues to be known for its active cultural life and sports scene, high-quality educational institutions and prominent figures, such as Alvar Aalto, the world-renowned architect and designer.
You can learn more about Jyväskylä and its history at https://www.jyvaskyla.fi/en
Find services and nearest points of interest on a map