Compared with views from ashore, paddling offers a different perspective on the magnificent lakes and nature of the Jyväskylä Region. Dotted with lakes, it has alternative paddling routes for many levels of paddlers. The Wanha Witonen that starts in the landscapes of the old Petäjävesi church (a UNESCO World Heritage Site), the Konnevesi–Laukaa route that takes one to where rock paintings can be seen, and the waterways of the Leivonmäki National Park to name but a few are fine routes. The best paddling routes in Jyväskylä are found in the areas of the Jyväsjärvi, Tuomiojärvi, Palokkajärvi, Alvajärvi, and Luonetjärvi waterways. One can go paddling, if one so wants, almost at the very centre of the city.
One can go on the water on one’s own or by taking part in guided trips. There are several companies that provide paddling services in the Jyväskylä Region under whose guidance it is safe to go on the water:
- Tavinsulka offers various activities with canoes, kayaks, and SUP boards – all from ready-made outdoor activities to individual packages.
- At Erä’s Pete you will find options for adventurous whitewater rafting or more gentle kayaking on the lakeside.
- HyvänTähen Wilderness & Nature services offers an opportunity to enjoy paddling trips, rivers and rapids with qualified guides.
- Located in Toivakka, Pistoretki offers kayaking and canoeing excursions around Leppävesi.
- If you have an appetite for speed and adventure, Kapeenkoski white-water rafting in rubber boat is definitely your thing.
- Lazy Dog Sup caters for SUP experiences in the area of Jyväskylä and its neighbouring municipalities.
- SUP boards are also available for rent at Laajis and Gr8wake for example.
- Many holiday centres such as Peurunka, Revontuli, and Marjoniemi Farm have paddling equipment or SUP boards for rent and provide guided trips.